Introduction to HibernateHistory of Hibernate
- Gavin King along with his Colleagues started developing an ORM Framework - Hibernate at Cirrus Technologies.
- JBoss Inc after acquiring Cirrus, hired those lead Hibernate developers for further development of it.
- Although Red Hat took over JBoss Inc. later, developments related to Hibernate are still preserved at JBOSS sites rather than RedHat.
- Hibernate Framework can be located at http://hibernate.org/orm/downloads/
- Hibernate related tools for Development (Eg. Hibernate Plugin - Part of JBOSS Tools) can be looked up at http://tools.jboss.org/downloads/overview.html
Hibernate Architechture can be partitioned into 4 layers.
Hibernate Eclipse Plugin Setup
- Hibernate Eclipse Plugin makes the Life of Developer much easier by providing the Hibernate Configuration Console for establishing the DB Connection, HQL Editor for executing HQL queries against DB to check if our mappings are right, Hibernate Query Result to view the result, Hibernate Mapping Diagrams - Diagram representation of Mapping, Hibernate Reverse Engineering for generating all hibernate related stuff (.cfg.xml,.hbm.xml, POJO) from. reverse.xml,
- Hibernate Eclipse Plugin is a part of JBOSS Tools and can be looked up at http://tools.jboss.org/downloads/overview.html
Getting from URL Provided.
- Make a note of the URL provided at the Update Site Tab
- Eclipse -> Help -> Install New Software -> Provided the URL which was got as above. Type Hibernate to get only the Hibernate related Entities and install only them. Restart once done.
Getting From Eclipse Market Place
- Drag Drop the Eclipse Install Icon provided in the UI once MarketPlace Tab is clicked.
- Select the Hibernate Tools and JBOSS Maven Hibernate Configurator. Click confirm. Restart Once done.
Zipping As Artifact
- If we wish to get the Hibernate Tools or the Entire JBoss Tools as Artifact, we need to click the Artifacts tab shown in below picture.
- Once downloaded, Unzip the contents and copy paste the contents from plugins/features directory to respective plugin/features directories of Eclipse. Once done Restart Eclipse.